Monday, December 3, 2007

PLOS Week 4 second sampler finished (I think!)

Here's my second sampler for week 4 of PLOS. This is (supposed to be!) a study in density. It's the very first free form embroidery that I have attempted, so while I think I need lots more practice, especially on composition, I am pleased with the result of this attempt. It was really hard to scan this to get the colors even close to true. This is the best I could do, I hope the contrast is sufficient.

For obvious reasons I can't give a detailed embroidery key, but here's some ideas of what I used/did:

The piece is supposed to show a grading of density both in stitch density, thread weight and color. Not sure that I quite nailed all 3 of these, but anyway..... The densest part is the bottom right and density decreases as you move upwards (I hope that is obvious!).

The background fabric is a commercial batik which looks great but is a real pain to sew on! The tight weave made basically every stitch difficult, and now I have a few sore fingers!

I "fussy cut" the batik to have a darker section on the bottom and lighter up top. I chose my threads based on the colors in the batik and divided them into 3 groups - dark, medium and light. For the dark section at the bottom, I used thicker threads and chunkier stitches. Most of this is in DMC Tapestry Cotton, DMC Pearl 8 and 2 strands of Silk 'n Colors. I also used quite a lot of dark 4mm Silken Ribbon to make colonial knots (to fill) and black and gold beads. I added some rouched ribbon for added texture.

For the middle section (the somewhat lighter bit in the center) I used my medium threads which were generally thinner and a shade lighter in color. These were primarily DMC Pearl 8, 1 strand Silk 'n Colors, DMC stranded rayon, Silken Pearl, and lighter color 4mm Silken Ribbon.

For the top section I used the lightest threads and only thin threads - 1 strand Silk 'n Colors, 2 strands Gumnuts Star Floss, Silken Pearl, Kreinik 1/16" Metallic ribbon and 4mm Silken Ribbon.

For stitches, I went back through all 4 previous lessons and tried to use as many stitches as I could manage, at least once, as a "review" of the lessons. The stitches I used most were herringbone, chain stitch and its variations, buttonhole and its variations, couching, feather stitch, fly stitch, colonial knots and beading. There's a few other bits and pieces in there is you take a close look! At the start, for the long lines that make the basic shape, I followed the general direction of the color "blobs" in the batik. Then I filled everything in randomly to make the denser parts and to create texture.

Well, that's it for my first attempt at free form embroidery! It is a lot of fun! I also think I could do a better job at my next attempt, given everything I learnt through this first try. It is still a long way from a "sumptuous surface", but maybe that is the next thing to try....?!

No comments: