Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Academy starts!


After an uneventful trip across the Pacific (just the way I like them!) and a good connection in Chicago (miracle!), I arrived late last night in Williamsburg for the Applique Academy. Today was primarily a rest day during which I tried to get as much fresh air as possible (antidote for jetlag) and in the afternoon I participated in the visit to the Abby Aldrich Rockerfeller Folk Art Museum at Colonial Williamsburg led by Elly Sienkiewicz. We had a lovely time viewing and discussing the baltimore album quilt hanging in the museum's current display. We also spent some time looking at other exhibitions, including a new (and wonderful!) display of embroidery samplers. The museum was only opened about 1 year ago and is beautifully designed and packed full of wonderful folk art displays. It is definitely worth a visit, not just for the BAQ!
Here's a few pictures of the sampler exhibition too:

I was really impressed with the samplers because most of them were done by very young children between 8 and 12 years old! Also, while most of the samplers were from the 1840 period or so, many of the techniques were remarkably similar to techniques used today by contemporary embroiderers, e.g., painting of background fabric and details, couching of interesting fibers, the use of heavily textured areas, even silk ribbon embroidery!


Painted background and amazing texture created by thousands of french knots done in what seems to be really fine single strand thread.





Painted background, textured embroidery on the trees and dress etc, and amazing silk ribbon embroidery around the top and bottom! This was done by a 12 year old in 1840 - incredible!

1 comment:

Aussie Jo said...

Fantastic samplers Mara, another place to put on the 'to visit' list