In my previous post the other day I mentioned that I have been working on two miniature BAQ blocks in Chinese silks.....well, here is the second one, just finished. Unfortunately, I can't seem to get a good true-to-color scan of this one. The colors in real life are much nicer! The ribbon flowers are gold with a kind of antiqued gold (almost green) center. I put the ruler on this scan so you can see how big the block actually is. The design area is 7.5" x 7.5". This block contains some of my original variations, including the use of 4 larger flowers rather than the 5 smaller ones in the original pattern. I have also used more embellishment, including the french knot and bead "gysophela" (sp?). The two buds on this block are embroidered, not appliqued. I also embroidered the pussy willow at the top, using a 3D technique Sharon taught in PLOS. I feel that I have made some progress on this block in terms of my goal of bringing together embroidery and applique - still a long way to go but I have definitely used some of the PLOS techniques and also my new knowledge of threads and texture to better effect in this block I think. This is the last block I wanted to finish before the Academy, so now I need to get my supplies ready for the Academy classes and get my bags packed!Thanks for all the lovely comments on my previous embroidery and applique posts!
No comments:
Post a Comment