"What are you old enough to remember?"
Hmm....seems simple enough, but when it comes down to it, I guess I am not as old as I currently feel (!) because there are a lot of thing I can't remember! Like......Armstrong landing on the moon (I was around, but only just), the Vietnam War, Elvis' death, Apollo 13, the sacking of Whitlam's government....
Anyway, after some brainstorming with my husband (and my friend Google), I decided the earliest world events I can actually remember (as opposed to things I know about and feel I should remember) are from 1975/1976. I can remember a few personal things from before that time - like a couple of birthday cakes, going to kindergarten, my sister starting prep class - but I cannot accurately date those because they are mainly just snippets of memories, all jumbled in my mind.
Here are 2 pages from my visual journal showing things I can remember. I decided I'd take a time frame of about 1975 to 1981 - anything after that is not classified as an "early memory"! (That means I didn't have to mention frills and ruffles and flicked back fringes here.)


Once I started thinking about that it gave me a seed of an idea so after wrestling my "don't use this stuff very often" sewing boxes out of the cupboard and ferreting around in them for a while, I found a plastic bag of old patchwork bits and pieces my sister and I made at our beachhouse sometime in the early 1980s. I thought that maybe I could use one of these odd pieces somehow, but after having a look at them, I am not so sure. I knew they were not exactly trendy, but somehow in my mind they seemed better than they actually turned out to be. The best of the lot is this one:
But it really does beg the question how this (well, part of it if I am going to keep to my 5.5" x 7" format) could be used, modernized, tissied up. I mean, how could one ever tie those florals together into something coherent? I think my only excuse for this creation is that I was a child at the time (which makes it a good effort, albeit a very unattractive one).If anyone can think of a way to use this in an updated form, please let me know! Otherwise, I think it is back to the drawing board, although I am still toying with the idea of English style patchwork, even if it is to recreate a small piece of hexagon patchwork, just to feel again how it is done. It must be more than 25 years since I last tried it!
5 comments:
Hi from ny. I wonder if you could edit the photo of the star and insert dome photos into the "petals" as things you remember. That is hat came to my mind. If you cannot edit on your computer you could print out some stuff and copy and paste the old fashioned way-with actual paste-come to think of it-I remember eating paste in kindergarden! o well just an idea.
You and I must be a similar age - I took my first steps around the time Neil Armstong took his first step on the moon!
The patchwork piece reminded me of a Kaffe Fassett quilt (I cant remember which book it was in) he took a whole pile of antique/vintage grandmothers flowergarden blocks and appliqued them to a busy modern background fabric - it wasnt exactly my cup of tea, but it looked good from a distance!!
Good heavens I looked at your blog and suddenly saw Yankalilla,I know you are much younger than me but that is where my grandmother lived and we went to during the war so it is an old stamping ground. i used to walk from Normanville to Carrickaling when it was only a name.
small world, although your title sounds as though these days you live in an interesting part of the world.
Hi Mara
Another possibility that comes to mind is this tutorial I have just been reading on making fabric paper.http://arleebarr.squarespace.com/tutorialstechniquesprojects/
You could cut it all up and then incorporate other bits and pieces
Cheers
Hi Mara
Another possibility that comes to mind is this tutorial I have just been reading on making fabric paper.http://arleebarr.squarespace.com/tutorialstechniquesprojects/
You could cut it all up and then incorporate other bits and pieces
Cheers
Post a Comment