Saturday, April 12, 2008

Applique - silk BAQ block work in progress

I thought I would also show the applique block I am working on - a silk miniature of the Blue Urn block taught by Nancy Kerns at Applique Academy this year.

Here is the original antique version (p97 Baltimore Album Quilts by Dena Katzenberg):

And here is Nancy Kerns' version (at full size about 14" design area) from Applique Academy 2008:


And here is my silk version in progress:

Because my version is much smaller than the original or Nancy's (not that you can tell from these photos because they are all the same size!), I replaced the green doodads below the urn with embroidery (split stitch in fine wool/silk). I reduced the number of them somewhat to space them further apart so that the definition of the embroidery would show. I used Jan Vaine's embroidery method for the berries in stranded silk (lovely sheen!). The urn is silk brocade (difficult to applique at this scale!) and dupioni silk (the dark one). The brown dividing lines between the colors of silk are a braid from Oliver Twists.

I am pleased with the way this block is shaping up and I have some ideas for the floral wreath at the top. I am also planning to do the birds in ribbon applique, using the techniques Wendy Grande showed at Academy this year.

Stay tuned for more on this block!

3 comments:

Beertje Zonn said...

Your block get also beautiful!
Kind regards

Sonnja
Beertje Zonn

Angela said...

This block is so pretty, I'm looking forward to seeing yours grow :)

Deepa said...

Beautiful!! The design looks good for Brazilian Embroidery too..

Deepa
India